Although Lutheran Campus Ministry has existed at U of M since 1917, Lord of Light Lutheran Church was founded in the 1970’s by faculty and former students from the University of Michigan who wanted to worship in a student-centered community.
Lord of Light is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and was instrumental in conversations around what eventually became the Reconciling in Christ movement. In 1987, it was one of the very first churches to become an RIC congregation. This historic step, and one that carried a fair amount of risk at the time, was followed by Lord of Light’s continued work in opening hearts, minds and doors to welcome the stranger of the day. Lord of Light soon gained a position as a leader, both as a congregation, and through many individual members, working to reform the multi-million member ELCA. The most visible success was the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly which passed resolutions to allow congregations to call and ordain rostered LGBT pastors, and to allow congregations to bless same-sex unions.
For a full history of the campus ministry, click here.